It’s October, which means winter is around the corner! Winterizing your home the green way not only safeguards the environment but also significantly reduces your energy bills. Embrace these tips and make sustainability a cozy affair!
- Wrap your Pipes: Insulating pipes prevent freezing and energy wastage. Materials like newspaper and rags make for great options.
- Inspect the Roof and Gutters: Clean and clear gutters prevent ice dams, reducing energy costs. Checking your roof for damage and repairing them timely ensures better insulation and reduced heating needs.
- Weatherproof Doors and Windows: Sealing gaps and installing weather stripping around doors and windows prevents cold drafts, making your heating system work more efficiently.
- Thermostats: Consider installing a programmable thermostat. It helps in maintaining the desired temperature and cuts down on unnecessary heating, saving both energy and money.
- Water Heaters: Insulate your water heater or opt for energy-efficient models to conserve energy.
- Switch to LED Lights: Longer nights mean more artificial lighting. LEDs use significantly less energy compared to traditional bulbs. Opt for LED holiday lights too!
- Natural Heating: Harness the sun’s power! Open curtains on south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight in, warming up your space naturally.
- Insulated Curtains: They trap heat and prevent cold drafts, proving to be both an eco-friendly and aesthetic addition to your interiors.
Tori Sowul, The Drawdown Fund